Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It's a Small World, Indeed

So, firstly, I have to mention that you ought not to expect any photos in this blog. I have my digital camera, but my computer crashed before I left San Francisco; and, besides, I'm a complete moron when it comes to computers and all such gizmos, anyway. Just a heads-up.

Well, I have a lot of stuff to talk about, but I'm feeling a bit under the weather, so I'll keep it short for now.

I knew it's a small world. Just how small it is becoming. . . well, I'm constantly re-learning that. I had to go up to the office of my logic professor, Dr. Casey, today after class, so he could give me the notes I could not print out. As I sat down in front of his desk, what do I see but a copy of this beautiful little green book I was given by Dr. John Hittinger (a friend of the family), called My Way of Life, which is basically a summarization of the Summa theologiae written (mostly) by the noted Thomist Walter Farrell, O.P. As Dr. Casey came back into the office, I laughed and showed him my copy of the book, which I happened to have in my jacket pocket (where I usually keep it). It was quite a coincidence, since this edition of the book, at least, has been out of print since the 50's.

We got to talking about the book, and then about St. Thomas, and then about other things, and lo and behold!--Dr. Casey had a son studying in Rice, so he's been to Houston; Dr. Casey knows about the University of St. Thomas; Dr. Casey studied at Notre Dame, and three of his sons were born in the same hospital as I; Dr. Casey knows Fred Freddoso; Dr. Casey knows the work of John Deeley; Dr. Casey thinks he may have met my father; Dr. Casey knows Russ Hittinger, brother of the John Hittinger who gave me the little green book which started the discovery of this whole chain of coincidences!

It was quite amazing to see how many times how many things became almost common between us, in that we knew or knew of so many of the same people--not incredibly famous people, either, as these things go (maybe in the realms of philosophy and Catholic thought--but even so). It was odd and humorous, a little crazy.

And, of course, as you may remember, he was the professor I mentioned being fond of in my earlier post, before I found out any of this. Which somehow makes it even funnier to me.

It was strange, and kind of cool. He certainly seems like a wonderful chap.

No comments:

Post a Comment